Immediately Following Sodding
- New Sod should be watered 3 times daily for the first two weeks. The sod should be kept damp.
- All traffic across new sod should be kept to a minimim, as it separates seams and disturbs the underlaying grade.
- KorbySod LLC will help start your irragation system after the sod is installed. If there is a problem, please call the company that installed your irrigation system.
- The first mowing can usually occur two or three weeks after installation or when the sod reaches a height of 3.5″ to 4″ tall
- Adjust the height to approximately 3″ and be certain that the blades are sharp.
- Do not water the day before mowing, as this will mat the foliage.
- Repeat mowing procedures approximately once or twice per week during the growing season. Do not remove more than 1/3 of the grass blade per mowing. CAUTION: If large mowing equipment will be used, the turf may need to be allowed to dry for a longer period of time. Low areas will remain wet.
Weeding and Fertilization
- After the first year, a pre-emergent should be used in early spring to keep the weeds to a minimim. You may find it necessary to use a broadleaf herbicide to help control encroaching weeds. Take care not to get the herbicide in your shrub beds.
- At approximately six-week intervals, from April through October, fertilize your lawn with a well-balanced (20-10-5) fertilizer at the recommended rate. It is best to fertilize in two directions at 1/2 the recommended rate to assure proper coverage and overlap. Remember, more frequent, light applications will give you better color than less frequent heavy applications.